How much do you know about the South African scene? Do you think you will win and make a living out of casino gambling? Which is the best online casino to play at?
If these questions have been bugging you, then you are at the right place. In this article, we shall guide you through casino gambling in South Africa. However, before that, it’s important that you understand all about casino gambling. That way you will know what you are getting into if it is the best move for you and how to make the best out of it.
R300 No Deposit
Springbok casino is considered South Africa’s best online casino. It celebrates everything South African including the culture by offering you world-class online gaming experiences. Springbok is the name of the South African national animal and also the name of the national rugby team. It is, therefore, safe to say that this game is specially designed only for South African players.
- Software: RTG
- High bonuses accessible after three deposits
- There is a large variety of games with new ones added monthly
- It has more table game and video poker game options.
- AVAILABLE IN AFRIKAANS
- There is no app
- There are no live dealer games
Understanding Casino Gambling
What is casino gambling? Casino gambling is derived from two words, casino and gambling. Casino has its roots in the Italian word, ‘casa,’ which originally meant ‘a small country villa or a social club,’ according to Wikipedia. In the 19th century, the term casino became popular, and it was used to describe public buildings where pleasurable activities: gambling, dancing, and music took place.
Casino gambling is, therefore, a place for wagering money or something valuable, also called stakes on an event that has an uncertain outcome. In casino gambling, your primary intent is to win money or material goods. For gambling, there has to be a consideration, chance, and a prize to win.
Casino Gambling in South Africa
Before casino gambling became as popular as it is now, it was illegal and prohibited in South Africa. Gambling was a controversial matter and politicians as well as traditionalists suggested heavy restrictions against the practice which was considered a vice. As a result, gambling was prohibited in South Africa for centuries and as early as the 1600s. But as you can imagine, the prohibition doesn’t mean that gambling practices were non-existent, they remained part of the nation’s culture. Did you know that before and during the apartheid, all forms of gambling were illegal except for betting on horse racing?
The casinos first emerged in the Bantustans, and it rose to be an important source of income for the inhabitants of Bantustans. With the end of apartheid in 1994 and the Democratic Party taking over power, gambling became legal. The national lottery and the casino certification system were instituted. With the change in leadership, there were concerted efforts to develop casino licensing procedures. The procedures were allowed into law by the Gambling Act of 1996. With the Gambling Act, 40 gambling licenses were handed to casinos across the country’s provinces in a bid to establish regulated casinos.
Following the legalization, there has been an increase in the number of land-based and online-based casinos. All gaming activities are under the control of the National Gaming Board.
In 2004, there was the implementation of the National Gambling Act, but in 2008, the act was amended with the aim of updating the country’s gaming system. Up until now, online gaming was illegal in South Africa. It wasn’t until after 2014 that online casino gambling was legalized.
R200 no deposit
This online casino isn’t just the best but one of the older online casinos in South Africa. It has been on the market since 1999, and it keeps getting better offering players a wide variety of the best games.
- Software: RTG
- There is a large selection of table games, slots and video poker
- The fairness of the games is enhanced by audits by TST
- Data and information secured by the SSL encryption
- Longstanding & Trustworthy Casino
- You have to wait for up to 72 hours for payments processing.
While the online casino scene has a wide variety of games including slots, keno, blackjack, roulette, poker, video poker, baccarat, the only game allowed in online casinos when it started out was sports betting. You can also play the lottery and cards.
The Rise of Online Casino Gambling in South Africa
Despite the economic challenges in Africa, South Africa reported an improvement in its gambling revenues in 2014. One of the main reasons for this is that most of the gamblers in South Africa got into gambling with money as the main motivation. In 2014 alone, South Africa recorded a 1.5 percent growth according to PWC. According to a report by PwC; Taking the odds: Gambling Outlook for 2015 – 2019 (South Africa/ Nigeria/Kenya)’: the gross gambling revenues across different markets in South Africa are expected to grow from R23.9 billion ($1.65 billion) in 2014 to about R30.3 billion ($2.1 billion) in 2019. Casinos are expected to take the largest share of this growth. It is important to note that this expected growth in revenue excludes the National Lottery.
With the high internet penetration rates, online casino gambling takes the lead as a big source of gambling revenue.
Advantages of online casinos over land-based casinos
Over the years, more and more people are opting to gamble online at the comfort of their homes. Some of the reasons why online casino gambling has a significant edge over land-based casinos include:
- An online casino is mobile: unlike brick and mortar casinos, online casinos are where you are. So, you don’t need to travel or leave the house. You just need to open your laptop or smartphone, and you are in. The instant access is convenient and a preferable gambling solution especially for the younger generation.
- It is secure: the regulated online casinos use top-notch encryptions to keep their connections secure and to keep players information safe. Credit card information is also safe. Though there are a few uncertainties, it is safer than carrying cash to a land-based casino.
- Variety of games: there are more interactive games in online casinos than in land-based casinos, and you get to try a game before putting in money. You also get access to live dealer games. This is probably because setting up and maintaining an online system is cheaper and easier than having dealers and multiple games in a land-based casino.
- You don’t have to dress up at an online casino, and you can play from the comfort of your home.
- You make sober decisions because there isn’t alcohol being passed around. Also, you don’t have to inhale other people’s smoke.
- You do not have to push your way to bet on a table, wait for your favorite slot machines, or feel intimidated playing for the first time.
- Online casino gambling is private, and no one has to know what you are doing.
100% Match Bonus up to R2500
A look at Thunderbolt Online Casino reveals that it is a favorite for many online casino players. It is particularly ideal for South African players because all the deposits and withdrawals run in the South African Rand.
- Software: RTG
- There are numerous bonuses and free spins
- The payment systems are secure, and the site operates under the Central Dispute System (CDS)
- Deposits and withdrawals accepted in the ZAR.
- There are over 200 games to play
- The site’s user interface is friendly with Instant Play, Mobile, and Downloadable gaming options
- The wagering requirements are too high
- Only available in the english language
Why casino gambling should be considered a form of entertainment more than a means of earning income
Even with lengthy experience in casino gambling, you shouldn’t consider it a means of earning income but a thrilling form of entertainment that may earn you money. This is because the casino has to win; it always wins. So, while you win some games, keep in mind that the casino has to get its lion’s share at the end of the day. Most of the time, the casino games have a fixed edge that favors the house.
Odds of Winning & Payout Percentages
Different online and land-based casinos in South Africa offer varied payout percentages. The odds of winning vary as well. You will, however, realize that online casinos offer better payout percentages and higher odds of winning because of unlimited space, the absence of some restrictions, and more freedom than land-based casinos.
The games you play matter too. The house edge varies when you play Roulette or Baccarat. The house edge also changes depending on the game and the bet placed.
Even though you cannot overturn the house edge, you can improve your chances of winning by knowing and understanding the house rules. You can also play the games with a low house edge, play correctly or chose a jackpot win. Finally, you should manage your finances and be disciplined.
What is the difference between gambling and playing the lottery?
A lottery allows you the chance to win a prize that has monetary value, and it’s based on chance or luck. You must purchase a ticket, wait for the lot to be made and then wait for the winner to be announced.
On the other hand, gambling is inherently uncertain, and you place a bet which mandates that you put your possessions at stake for a chance to win a coveted prize. You get no compensation when you lose. Popular games in gambling include slots, poker, cards, bingo, horse racing, and other casino games.
When not to play
- You shouldn’t play if the casino isn’t regulated. Also, if inebriated, your sense of judgment is impaired, and you shouldn’t play.
- Also, stop playing when on a losing streak and when you have reached your set financial limit for the day.
- If you feel that you are getting dependent on casino gambling, then you should hang your boots.
- Finally, you shouldn’t play if a site is blacklisted.
Why do casinos give out free bonuses?
Free bonuses are used to entice new players to deposit money with a casino. In the process, the players keep playing generating good business for the casino.
Since the free bonuses come with unrealistic wagering requirements, the casinos are bound to make more money.
What is the difference between a free deposit bonus and a match bonus?
The free deposit bonus is where the casino puts money in your account immediately after signing up. The problem with this bonus is that it has a high wager requirement and you may have to wager up to 50 times or more the deposited amount to withdraw money. In other cases, you can only withdraw after making a deposit.
On the other hand, a match bonus is applicable where the casino matches the amount you deposit with them. However, the casino will only match up to a certain amount.
Besides match and free deposit bonuses, there are other rebates like welcome bonuses, reloads, loyalty rewards, percentage deposits, cash-backs, high-roller rewards, refer-a-friend and free-trial no-deposits. There also are rebates offered by some casinos for people who use specific payment methods.
Despite the attractive bonus packages, you need to check the casino’s wager requirements because some are unreasonable and you may never get back your money especially when you need to make a deposit first.
Best Casinos for South Africans
Choosing the best casino for South Africans isn’t easy noting that there are numerous casinos which offer competitive services. After rigorous testing, the following five casinos are the best for South Africans. They include Springbok, Silver Sands, Thunderbolt, Punt, and Yebo casinos. These casinos are top-rated because they have a great welcome bonus, popular games, excellent customer service, easy deposits and withdrawals and sophisticated software and gaming functionalities. They also offer safe gambling conditions and advanced data protection services.
This is the ideal casino for South Africans. It is easily relatable and easy to use given the elegant interface, the rich graphics, attractive promotions and the cool games. The payment methods support the use of the local currency, the Rand as well as locally used payment methods. It is licensed by the Government of Curacao, which is associated with the CDS. You will also enjoy the mobile casino with more than 150 games including slots, table games, specialty games and video poker. It is compatible with Android and iOS.
Bonus – you will get a 100 percent Deposit match bonus of R1,500
- It is ideal for South Africans given the local currency and the significance of the name to South African players.
- There are numerous games and advanced features thanks to the use of the RTG software.
- There are great jackpots
- It has more than 200 games as well as progressive and Real Series slots
- There are attractive promotions and bonuses.
- The payout ratio is high
- Excellent customer service
- There is no live casino
This casino offers a wide selection of casino games, excellent customer support and popular local and international payment methods. It has an exciting graphics interface. It is managed by Paxton Marketing Ltd. It was launched in 1999 and is licensed by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission.
Bonus – a 100 percent deposit match bonus of up to R8,888
- It has games which run on the RTG software certified by iTech Labs and the Technical Systems Testing.
- It is ideal for South African players as it supports local payment methods and the local currency.
- The games are run on a brilliant interface with exciting graphics and animations that make the site stand out
- There are attractive welcome bonuses.
- You will also enjoy the fancy progressive jackpots.
- It has a high payout percentage
- It has a mobile casino available for Android, Blackberry, Windows phones and iOS
- There is no live casino
This casino is licensed by the Government of Curacao and operated by the Audeo NV, a highly reputable company in the gambling industry. Though it isn’t old, it is one of the best casinos for South Africans.
Bonus – an exclusive R250 no-deposit bonus and an R10,000 Match bonus over four deposits.
- It has a high payout ratio
- It has a live casino
- It caters to SA players with relatable games and popular banking options. It also makes use of the local currency.
- It has excellent graphics
- It is highly regulated and licensed hence trustworthy
- It is compatible with Android, Windows and iOS devices.
- Although it runs on Windows mobile devices, it only works on Windows phones sold from January 2016.
- Punt Casino
Though this casino has been on the market for less than six months since its establishment in June 2017, it is ideal for South Africans because players can deposit, withdraw and wager in Rands. It is part of the Yebo Affiliates Casino which operates the Yebo Casino that has been running since 2014.
Bonus – a welcome match bonus of R10,000 over three deposits.
- It runs on the RTG software platform, and the games are running on this platform are tested for fairness by the Technical Systems Testing (TST) and the Gaming Laboratories International (GLI).
- The site is exclusive for South African players as the players can play in Rands. The banking systems are secure.
- There are impressive jackpot games selected
- You can claim daily bonuses and cashback offers.
- It is compatible with all smartphones
- There is no live casino
- Yebo Casino
Yebo Casino is owned and run by Yebo Affiliates Casino. It is ideal for South African players and regulated by the Government of Curacao. Established in 2014, this is one of the newest online South African Casinos. It employs advanced technological applications to ensure that the details of players are safe and secure. The site also offers an exciting gaming experience with its intuitive user interface and the advanced graphics.
Bonus – 50 Free spins on Caesars Empire and R12,000 Match Bonus offered over three deposits.
- The games run on the RTG software
- It’s designed specifically for South African players as it allows use of the local currency
- There are interesting jackpots
- It is reliable and secure
- It has a high payout percentage
- No live casino
Q & A
Is casino gaming legal in South Africa?
Yes, it is. It has been since 1994 after the end of Apartheid and the formation of the Democratic Party plus the Gambling Act.
Can you play with and win real money?
Not always, you can win or lose. South African players get to play with the local currency, the Rand.
How do I deposit money?
You can deposit money using different methods like Visa, MasterCard, Neteller, Skrill, Eco Card, or secure instant deposit.
Are there Casinos you can play on your phone or tablet?
Yes. Springbok Casino, Yebo Casino, Apollo Casino, Punt Casino, Thunderbolt, White Lotus, and Silver Sands are some of the casinos that let you play on your phone or tablet.
How are casinos regulated? Are they fair?
They are regulated by gaming control boards and gaming control commissions. These are government agencies which regulate casinos in defined geographical areas.
Renowned regulatory bodies are fair though some casinos are tested for fairness by Technical Systems Testing (TST), iTech Labs or the Gaming Laboratories International (GLI).
Is your data secure?
If you are gaming at a regulated casino that uses RTG software for gaming and advanced encryption for data, then your site is secure.
When looking for a casino, you must look at the regulatory body, the software it runs on, the compatibility of the casino with mobile devices, and how secure the banking platforms are.
Thank you for trusting us, and have fun, be responsible and – WIN!